Where do recipes come from? From necessity, distant memories, and problem solving, mostly. This one came from the fact that my littlest one won't eat hamburger but loves sausage. And I had picked up some freshly made pappardelle pasta from Eataly. And I found a green pepper in my late-summer garden. Hmmmm... I remembered Hamburger Hash from junior high school, back when school lunches were made from scratch by lunch ladies. And so a new recipe was born, although it tasted remarkably similar to a dish I order from my local Chinese restaurant's secret menu--it's tofu noodles, ground pork, and green pepper. But that one is spicy and this was just plain yum. It's a small world after all.
Everybody loved it! And now you can try it, too.
Sausage and Gravy on PastaIngredients:
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 green pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- Romano cheese for garnish
- Fry up the sausage in a pan (I prefer cast iron).
- Add the cut-up green pepper.
- Mix the flour and water and add to the sizzling sausage and stir until the mixture thickens (about 2 minutes or less).
- Add salt and pepper to taste; top with the Romano cheese, if using.
- Serve on top of the cooked pasta.
For more from Maria Rodale, visit www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com